The Internet of Things is predicted to contain 50 billion devices in 2020, rapidly expanding the volume, velocity and variety of data related to transport and associated mobility.
This data is expected to become a ‘new form of oil’ for transport systems – charting demand for mobility and enabling smarter coordination of increasingly ‘on-demand’ service that meet these requirements.
As a result, the range of Open Data – public datasets free for re-use – is expanding, improving in quality and becoming more dynamic through live feeds that are constantly updated. The increased range and scope of the datasets becoming available makes coordination more challenging and can even make it harder to discover and exploit high-value transport data feeds.
mxData recognise these technological challenges and since 2001 our technology and expertise in Open Data, mobile apps, websites and APIs has helped many organisations overcome specific barriers to market.
mxData uses our own in-house built, cloud based GeoHawk® service, to gather, manage and distribute data to and from transport information systems.
How we use GeoHawk?
mxData does all this using its cloud hosted GeoHawk platform. The platform is fully supported by mxData, allowing for quick and cost effective adoption. It is scalable, resilient, highly available and supported 24/7/365.
The platform is built upon proven technology and been running continuously for more than 10 years, serving high volumes of traffic to millions of users for a demanding enterprise customer base. It has supported apps and websites used by the public, employees and other stakeholders throughout that time. It has thrived and maintained its lead in the rapidly changing world of mobile and web technology. Visit Mapway, our sister company’s website, to see first-hand some of the apps Geohawk currently underpins.
It has a redundant architecture with no single point of failure, is hosted from an industrial grade hosting centre and is supported 24/7/365.
Because mxData manages hosting this platform, the start-up costs and lead time for delivery to any given new customer are minimized. The platform is already fully operational, tried and tested, including all the feeds and content mentioned above.
GeoHawk has a plugin architecture. This means that if a feed or API is not currently supported, it can be rapidly and cost effectively added, often in only a few hours or days, depending on the nature of that feed. It also allows business logic specific to particular customers to be implemented if required.
GeoHawk® is developed and supported by mxData’s experts who can provide advice on the best ways to fit our technology solutions to the needs of your organisation. We can help you analyse your businesses needs and where needed, develop new apps and server side capabilities to support them.
How does GeoHawk® work in a real life situation?
Specifically within the transport sector, mxData have been solving problems for many of the industry’s leading providers by providing expertise in the area of data gathering, aggregation and dissemination services.
Our services have helped companies shape the way data can be made commercially viable and accurately tailored to the needs of the end user. Some of the clients we work with who have benefitted from GeoHawk® technology include; Traveline Information Limited, Cubic Transportation Systems, and Alstom, to name a few.
How does GeoHawk® fit in to the transport industry?
- Comes complete with common travel and transport systems and standards already integrated. These include standards and systems for handling schedules, real time arrivals/departures, journey planning and in fact anything you need to setup a travel and transport information system.
- Prepackaged integrations to some of the most common formats include: proprietary and open source journey planners, GTFS schedules, GTFS real time, TransXchange, TNDS, ATOC, NROD, SIRI and proprietary real time APIs from major towns and cities around the world. It also includes existing integrations of road traffic information.
- PCI compliant servers available to support payment system integration.
- Supports the rapid integration of additional content and systems (i.e. proprietary content and systems owned by your organisation which you want to open up to your customers and the public).
- Incorporates aggregation and search engine technology, allowing content to be loaded, indexed, geocoded and found again. Capabilities this supports include finding stops and stations, searching POIs and addresses, setting the start and end points of journeys and in fact anything you could want to do with real world content and search.
- Integrates with other 3rd party sources of data and services like PAF OS products and mapping providers like (Google, OSM, Mapbox).
Other benefits of GeoHawk®
GeoHawk® is also adopted as a middleware framework in both the development and deployment of enterprise apps on iOS, Android and Windows platforms for smart phones, tablets or watches.
As you may know, deploying mobile apps for any business is a complicated process. Developers need to not only design the app(s), but must also find ways to manage users, online/offline syncing, data security, workflows and integration to existing systems etc.
GeoHawk® helps organisations in:
- Enabling the rapid development and deployment of mobile apps and websites, either by mxData, by customer organisations or by third party developers.
- Provides (open) APIs accessible over the Internet to allow you and/or third party developer communities access to systems and content. This supports development of apps for use by your customers and your staff. It allows you to build third party developer communities, a proven way to get innovative apps and sites in front of users. It can also be used to support internal analysis and management activities.
For more information on how GeoHawk® has helped organisations to gather, manage and distribute data, take a look at our client case studies page by clicking the link.